Odisha Police is a service organisation & Senior Citizens are our special concern. They need care, support and security. It is our endeavour to achieve this to the maximum possible level.
To provide safe & secure atmosphere to senior citizens of the society , Senior Citizens Security Cells (SCSC) have been started at District Police Offices and Commissionerate Police, Bhubaneswar-Cuttack, Bhubaneswar.
Criminal Investigation Department CB Circular No.01/08 Dt.05.01.2008 has been published on Senior Citizen Security Cell .
1. Coordinate safety & security of Senior Citizens with the help of local Police.
2.Provide Senior Citizens a sense of Security & confidence.
3. Monitoring of registered Senior Citizens by interacting on Telephone on regular basis.
4. Regular advice to local Police with respect to the safety concern of Senior Citizens residing in their jurisdiction.
5. Helping the Senior Citizens in case of their personal problems as far as practicable.
6. Regular advice on induction of Security & Safety measures required in the physical ambience and life style of Senior Citizens.
7. Encouraging regular social interaction of Senior Citizens in the neighbourhood.
8. Coordinating Police verification of domestic help by Area Police.
9. Organising Field visits to Senior Citizens giving them a better sense of Security and Confidence.
10. Advise Senior Citizens on Safety & security measures.
Registration of Senior Citizens.
Senior Citizens who have attained the age of 60 years or above, and are staying alone or as a couple, but without any other younger family members are eligible for registration with the Senior Citizen Security Cell. Enrollment is purely on a voluntary basis.
A register shall be opened in the cell where every senior citizen interested in registering himself would fill up a registration form to be provided by the cell. After registration, he shall be provided with a registration number by the cell for future reference.
Police Visits to Senior Citizens.
Nodal Officers of Senior Citizen Security Cell pay visit to the Senior Citizens every week. During personal visit the following aspects are kept in mind:
i. Each visit is made after prior appointment
ii. During such visits, the Nodal Officers ascertain the well-being of the Senior Citizens, physical security aspects of their houses and also render suitable advice about enhancing their physical security by installing protective grill fencing, door chains, magic eye etc.
iii. The Nodal Officers also attend to the personal problems/ sundry tasks of the senior citizens, as far as practicable.
iv. A Telephone Directory containing all emergency numbers and those of members of SCSCs, local P.S staff, DCP, Zonal ACP, hospitals, fire station, airport, local gas agency, OMFED Booth, medicine shops, electrician, plumbers, PHD/Electrical authorities etc. have also been provided to the Senior Citizens.
Collaboration with NGOs.
A list of NGOs working in the district on problem and welfare issues related to senior citizens shall be maintained in the cell and their services may be utilised as and when required.
Verification of the Domestic servant:
Verification shall be done by the local police in the proforma duly filled by the senior citizens and submitted to the cell. The cell shall forward the duly filled verification roll to the concerned local police station for verification of the antecedents of the domestic help.
DO’S AND DON’TS
1. Employ a servant after verifying his antecedents with the help of the nearest Police Station.
2. Always carry an Identity Card with you.
3. Never discuss financial matters in front of servants/strangers.
4. Deposit your valuables in safe deposit vault of any Bank.
5. Treat your servants in a humane manner.
6. Normally, do not allow the relatives or friends of your servant to visit your house. If at all he/she has any frequent visitors, get their antecedents checked from police. Try to keep the number of such persons to the minimum.
7. If you are staying alone, please inform your neighbours and also to the Secretary of your Housing Society .
8. Use of modern security gadgets like door alarm, electronic-eye bell etc is always advantageous. Consult professionals for installing such gadgets.
9. Install a peephole in the entrance door of your house and allow access only to the known and identified persons. Install double door system. It is always safer to deal with strangers without opening the main door or deal with them only after informing the neighbours or the security.
10. Never leave spare keys or even the original keys in the open or in the conventional hiding places.
11. Verify the identity of any repairman, salesman etc and allow them access only after informing the security.
12. When you admit a workman or a salesman, do not leave him alone at any time.
13. You will be safest in bright, well lit and busy areas.
14. Stay alert to the surroundings while jogging or walking. Avoid using ear phones etc. at such times.
15. Keep emergency medicines and family doctor’s numbers or emergency medical services (EMS) numbers at hand.
16. Inform your society about unacquainted visitors, so that their identity could be checked at the gate of the society.
17. A well-designed electronic alarm system attached to the office of your Housing Society or to the watchman’s cabin would be advisable so as to send alarm signals to all simultaneously.
18. Employ a servant after verifying his real name, native address with the help of the nearest Police Station.